CHRIS LIGHTY

THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE.
06/21/2010, 5:25 am
Filed under: THOUGHTS FROM CHRIS

It has been a minute since my last blog but I am back with a few topics that I felt relevant enough to share at this level. The title really says it all for me. I have tell you I always meet people and even have family members that think just because I am in the music business so should they be and why aren’t I giving out the free handout. This is a business and despite all the glamour and glitz there are people really breaking their necks on an individual and team basis.I have 16 to 18 hour days and try to juggle my business,a wife,a family and people think it is easy. The best is when my friends from the hood decide this is their new meal ticket and don’t understand why they aren’t rolling in the dough and take offense when they aren’t being catered to as if they were a client and not someone trying to get on. I am very grateful to be in this business as something interesting is always going on and we are at a crossroads where the expansion of our business whether thru the digital realm or the brand marketing angle are creating new opportunities and income streams. That being said everyone should chase their dreams but remember it is up to you to make your dreams come true. The next man or woman shouldn’t have their career used as your personal spring board. You have to find your lane and make it work!!!! Next blog: New york hip hop and the new york state of mind. stay tuned

About these ads

39 Comments so far

Asking questions are really pleasant thing if you are not understanding something
entirely, however this post presents nice
understanding yet.

Comment by we buy cars west palm beach

What’s up every one, here every one is sharing such familiarity, so
it’s pleasant to read this web site, and I used to go to see
this website everyday.

Comment by best folding bike

Fantastic items from you, man. I have take into accout your stuff previous to and you are just too wonderful.
I really like what you’ve received here, certainly like what
you are stating and the best way during which you assert it.

You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to stay it sensible.

I can not wait to learn much more from you.
This is really a wonderful web site.

Comment by best rifle scope

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written
article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information.

Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly return.

Comment by google advertising login

Howdy terrific website! Does running a blog like this require a
lot of work? I have no expertise in coding but
I was hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyways, if you have any suggestions or techniques for new blog owners please share.

I know this is off topic but I simply had to ask. Thanks!

Comment by geld leihen sofort auszahlung

Q: How did you prepare for your role of Princess Lelya before you began filming.
What is your opinion on social gaming changing to a
more advertising aggregate i. Arthur represents
a golden age, that whether it happened or not, is something we
once again can shoot for.

Comment by Clash Of Clans Triche Gemmes Illimite Francais

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of.

I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people think about
worries that they just don’t know about. You managed to hit
the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without
having side effect , people could take a signal.
Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

Comment by htc incredible s

Everything is very open with a really clear description of
the issues. It was really informative. Your site is useful.
Thanks for sharing!

Comment by youtube.com

Often I do not study report with websites, nevertheless i would like to claim that this kind of write-up extremely compelled me personally for you to do and so! Your own way with words have been surprised me. Appreciate it, quite fantastic report.

Comment by Clash of clans free download,

Heya this is kinda of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use
WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding skills so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comment by clash of clans triche gemmes

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for aire acondicionado

Comment by aire acondicionado

“THE MUSIC BUSINESS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. CHRIS LIGHTY”
truly makes myself think a somewhat further. I appreciated
each and every single portion of this blog post. Thanks for your time ,Kayla

Comment by http://tinyurl.com/lordalley27842

You will be missed by all, but mostly by those who knew you and have done business with you like myself.

Thank you for always helping me when i needed it the most.

Josh Andrade – TalentBuyer.com

Comment by Josh Andrade

Rest in peace baby Chris! Super manager extra-ordinaire!

Comment by Anonymous

[...] Lighty’s own thoughts on the grueling nature of the music business, via his blog, 2010: It has been a minute since my last blog but I am back with a few topics that I felt relevant [...]

Pingback by Remembering Chris Lighty: From the Jungle Brothers to 50 Cent, Hip Hop’s Power Manager | HARPITO

[...] Lighty’s own thoughts on the grueling nature of the music business, via his blog, 2010: It has been a minute since my last blog but I am back with a few topics that I felt relevant [...]

Pingback by Remembering Chris Lighty | UMFM | EarPlay

a good start

Comment by ds@aol.com

Pingback by MissInfo.tv » Remembering #ChrisLighty : From the Jungle Brothers to 50 Cent, Hip Hop’s Power Manager

pay your bills and the ppl you money too

Comment by maria donia (@DonEddienaz)

How Brand Asset Group dont want to pay our model Hollis for a job she did in December and for the usages for Motion, they received the payment from Uniliver and we never saw the payment from Chris Lighty company, is he using other means of trying to get rich on from money that dont belong to him how long has he been doing this skeem., ponsy skeem…….???????? inquiry minds wants to know????? is he just using ppl to get rich…

Comment by maria donia (@DonEddienaz)

how u doin Mr. chris i knw that your a very busy man and u got a wife and kids and u hardly have time to read this but am only 16 and am livin with my mother and my 1 brother and 2 sister no father am not askin to feel sorry for me am just lettin u knw that i love to rapper rapper is my life i write music to and i take it very serious i dont have nomore to go to a studio am sorry if u wanted a video but i cant afforded it but please if u could get in contact with me my facebook.com is corey maxaillion my email is gangest4life33@aol.com my number is 646 441 7845 please get incontact with mi

Comment by corey maxaillion

Stand up put ya hands up!….This ya boy brewcityjroc aka the rotten apple….I know last time i posted it was sort of on a bad note….but heed the son like God here !……..because as Blacq People we realise that ALL WE GOT IS US …..Amen? Okay with that being said ,it came to my attention some days back ….i was talking about how africa people feel about blacq in american….because lets keep it real we wouldnt give a whatwhat about what any other race says about us but our homelands…..and i then beginned to realise that we are a NEW RACE OF BLACQ PEOPLES…..Hear me out……we all came from “A”race of peolpe which through Conception form another….(i.e.mexican,portirican,dominacan…..blacq,albino,AFRICAN)….because we are a mix breed (some(ill explane)….its like a dovermen pitcher that became a rottriller……Now dont get me wrong theres still some Blacq who can trace there genes back to there forefathers but alot of us where basicially ANEW….and it makes you wonder should our foreparents should have left when they where given rights to deport……Because we can argue the facts…..And i dont know about yall but i feel like a new breed of Blacq i think African as a title defames who we are in America……vs Blacq american….if our race became the last race on earth what would we be label as ….what would our race be call?……..AFRICANS?…Brewcityjroc Ghost……

Comment by jeremiah liddell

Comment by dave brock / dave suave

Comment by Tonyamazin

Whats up im tonyamazin with a group GDB when you have time check out my youtube videos with my music. its real hot, and when you can just email me or write on youtube. you can contact me anytime. 727-623-3218

Comment by Tonyamazin

FRIDAY JULY 15 2011
HOLLAR 4A DOLLAR
Open Mic Fundraiser

The Afrikan Poetry Theater
176th St. & Jamaica Ave.
Jamaica NY 11432

Adm:$1
Doors Open 8:00pm
Hosted by: Mr Ace
Showent.com

Comment by showent

Comment by PISTOL MAINE

I AM SOOOOO DIFFERENT
GOT KIDS THAT I GOTTA FEED IM DUIN DAT BY ALL MEANS.. TAKE OUT THE TIME TO LISTEN TO 1 OF HUNDREDS OF SONGS WANT B MAD YOU DID

Comment by PISTOL MAINE

FRIDAY JULY 15 2011
HOLLAR 4A DOLLAR
Open Mic Fundraiser

The Afrikan Poetry Theater
176th St. & Jamaica Ave.
Jamaica NY 11432
showent.com

Comment by Show Off

Chris i hate to be the rotten apple in the negro race.But i feel everything these personality(mainly blacks) celebs are doing this decade is just straight up b—s—.I mean i can say “chris lighty is only doing this to keep his self relevent and that as long as he got his support coming in(which might mean more money) then he can tell us any thing just to keep conversation just to keep safe….for keep sake”.Now dont get me wrong i’m not hating at all,God has blessed you wit more then most dream of and i’m not talking booty(no homo)but,your life style period.just to be in your circle ,to be able to enjoy THE FRUITS OF YOUR LABOR IS MORE THEN THE BALK.I dont know if you feel me right now but the reason i said something is because i get sick of theses al sharpton,dr west,russel simmons young up and comings and all the coning and skeeming and deceit that you rich niggas is pumping in our blacq’s brain and not seeing the real aftermath of the whole sitjoe.But i dont know if you feeling me right now.All i wanta say is stop fronting …..in the name of black people and yourself.Like nigga you got a oppurtunity to do some and you wasting it on fake b.s. you throwing out there hoping somebody catch like a new huggies diaper sale and its all b.s..like fuck white america what you niggas scared of?….brewcity jroc…..GHost

Comment by jeremiah liddell

From Gloria R.
Atlanta, GA

Dear Curtia Jackson aka 50 cent,

I have taken this under deep consideration in writing you this letter, Upon doing my Due Diligent on you and other Music / Businessman’s out there in the entertainment business. I feel it was best to accost you with this business matter first. Mr. Jackson, I know that you are already on top, but with this New Technology I want to present to you, would put you on the top of your competitors, Once you take part in this new business venture. Your going to need a website that’s represent you: called (ThisIs50centtheMan .com)It nothing out there like it, and words can’t not explained it, you have to see it for yourself. It’s the 21 century technology invented , for Up-scale home, business, communities, hospitals, etc. I know you are a busy man and people come at you all the time. But, what I’m bringing to is no joke, and I would really like your blessing on this. I know you don’t know me and I’m not in your world. But I can say this Mr. Curtis Jackson, once you see what I have to offer, you will want to know who’s the woman, behind what going to take you to the next level of your accomplishments, its going to make you, the most admired businessman in the industry. Mr. Jackson. You can take this Technology to a hold another level and change people lives as you take them in to the 21 century. Entertainment like never before. Mr. Curtis Jackson I implore you to take this into great consideration. You will never forgive yourself if you pass up on this great opportunity and it ends up in one of your competitors hands.

As for me I’m a small time business woman, with the compassion for aiding the homeless, homeless and disable veteran’s and those transiting from the prison system. This is my calling. To help those who can’t help themselves and need that extra support from those who care. As for you, Mr. Curtis Jackson you are a walking testimony and I see that you give back to the veteran community. Hats off to you!

I looking forward hearing from you real soon, Please feel free to contact me at:
Contact number: (404) 839-8593
Email: reliablelady@hotmail.com

Comment by GloriaR

Nobody read what the dude wrote. He just said “find your own lane”. Right now you dont need a “establised” label to make you blow, music should be for the love first, money second, regarding money thats what a day job is for. Everyone is stealing music, and most of these artists are broke, so where is the ROI for the label? Twitter.com/showent
early to bed realy to rize advertise x 3 – warren buffet

Comment by showoffpoetry

well .. I’m not a music producer … more noticed you manage the singer Mariah Carey … I’m not a professional singer … I’m Brazilian .. more I have a unique voice! a different voice .. .. Seriously … the scope notes Mariah carey … if you’re interested in seeing me sing … you’ll see that I’m not kidding .. I believe that would also be a new merchandise for you … a Brazilian with the voice of mariah carey … .. different things that only you with your talent could bring to the market .. if you’re interested … I will send you a video … please .. see … at least get god …

Comment by rhamond

i am a music manager i have to model and they sing rap and dance my facebook page is tressabecton@yahoo.com call me if youy like them

Comment by tressa

This business you have 2 love it more than life itself if ur gonna make it.People think its easy it takes hard work time and patiences. This is one business is the only business where u can make it overnight or not I’ve been knocnking at the door for 25 years with some success I’ve had 3 labels all successful all I can say is “You got to be in it 2 win at it. If I had 2 do it all over again I would’nt change a thing.

Comment by amir abu haqq shabazz

According to Merriam-Webster blog is defined as:

A Web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks provided by the writer; also: the contents of such a site
— blog•ger noun
— blog•ging noun
: Pronunciation: \ˈblȯg, ˈbläg\
Function: noun
Etymology: short for Weblog

Ok, with that defined, I want to send my deepest thanks to Violator Records & Management, and of course, Chris Lighty for supplying this forum and so-so much more…I’m not saying that I’m star struck like a 12 year old at a Eminem show, but as far as idolizing a CEO and/or business-marketing model…their really is no substitute in the entertainment industry.

–So if you’re not feeling me, you probably need to educate your self!

And one last thought about opportunity —well, you can read it for your self:

“The streets taught me that as impoverished as that environment was, it was really possible to make something out of nothing.” Chris Lighty (The Huffington Post 8/6/10)

Now for the brass tax,

What and/or how should a start-up record label go about consolidating a very large pool of unsigned talent in the Phoenix metropolitan area? Or is it more cost effective to pursue publishing contracts that way heavily in the interest of the artist or band?

I’m currently considering the two business models, and finding it harder and harder to—
One; distinguish the lines between them, and secondly I’m finding that management opportunities might be the best option for a small media company on a shoestring budget?

Also, is branding and brand recognition the true back door into an exclusive industry.

Any thoughts or opinions about this subject would be extremely appreciated.

Cheers!

Shunty,
CEO—Penny-In Entertainment

Comment by Shunty

Greetings Mr. Chris Lighty,

My name is A. Demetrius Glenn and I currently live in Washington, DC. I would like to submit my screenplay, Led Astray, to Violator Entertainment for representation. The first draft was able to achieve an Honorable Mention in the 2009 OBS(Organization of Black Screenwriters) Screenwriting Competition and it received good feedback on TriggerStreet.com. I’m in the process of creating my own film production company, EverLasting Entertainment. There is a booming market for this type of film, especially down south. I could send you my script at your request. I feel that this could be the modern day New Jack City. Any kind of help or advice you could give me would sincerely be appreciated.

Led Astray,
logline
Fresh out of prison, a landless ex-con and former boxer attempting to stay on the straight and narrow joins up with his shifty cousin to rule the Atlanta nightclub scene, but when a bitter drug war is sparked between his cousin and some out of town rivals it grows to threaten the lives of everyone around him.

Synopsis
Recently released from prison, a landless ex-con and former boxer, Raymond Demps, moves to Atlanta, Georgia, to live with his shifty cousin, Vince. Raymond accepts a job working for Vince at his nightclub, Club Corral, only after being persuaded by Vince that everything is on the up and up and that all his illegal activities are a thing of the past. Raymond explains to Vince that the city of Atlanta is only a temporary stop for a few months because of his plans to move down to Tampa, Florida when a friend he met in prison gets out so he can start training and try and resume his boxing career.
While attempting to steer clear of any wrongdoings, Raymond is inevitably exposed to the grim underworld of the nightlife when Vince orders a crooked cop on his payroll to murder a man he suspected of robbing and murdering one of his runners. Now in fear of his own life if he attempts to leave, Raymond reluctantly closes his eyes to all the illegal activities going on around him until his time in Atlanta has come to an end.
Having fallen for Joanne, a beautiful nurse whom roommates with one of Vince’s girlfriends, Raymond tries to stay out of the heat as much as possible. Raymond is unwillingly lulled deeper into his cousin’s various dealings when Vince gets into a bloody street war with some up-and-coming thugs in from Los Angeles determined to take over his territory. Raymond attempts to separate himself as much as possible from the out of control Vince, whose reckless behavior is increasingly driving a wedge between the two cousins, and his growing love for Joanne. A life-and-death struggle ensues as Raymond realizes that no one is to be trusted, especially family.

A. Demetrius Glenn
Washington, DC
214-549-4667
entertainment101@yahoo.com

Comment by A. Demetrius Glenn

i been this business for about 25 years i started a internet co live streaming
i started with bill graham presents in san francisco ca a concert promoter
now it’s live nation i tour with mc hammer 90 / michael jackson 93
i now setup show production audio,video,lights,stage set, backline industry conventions i would like to be of service as a production manager or my internet co i work a lot of music touring event’s on the west coast bay area

Comment by derick golden